Free Range Egg Recipes
| Add Your Rating
Shakshouka - Moroccan egg tagine
|4||free range eggs|
|1||small red chilli, chopped|
|1||medium red bell pepper, sliced|
|1 and 1/2 tsp||Morrocan spice mix (paprika, cumin, coriander seeds, cayenne pepper, oregano etc)|
|400g||tinned chopped tomatos|
|3 tbsp||olive oil|
|handful||fresh parsley and corinader, roughly chopped|
- Cook the tomato base and eggs in a tagine pot, but you can easily use a cast iron or any deep frying pan or saucepan with a lead, or an oven tray covered with foil.
- Saute onion, pepper and chili in a tagine with 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Add garlic and spices to the tagine and stir through for half a minute. Add tomatoes, stir and cover with a tagine hood. Cook on low heat for 12-15 minutes, giving it a stir a few times.
- Using a spoon, make four wells in the tomato mix and crack an egg into each, letting the egg white spill over the edges. Sprinkle each egg yolk with a little salt and pepper, cover with the hood and cook on low heat until the egg whites settle and firm but the egg yolks stay gooey. You're after a white translucent film over the egg yolks but only just. It’s very easy to overcook the eggs this way so it’s best to leave them slightly under as they will keep cooking while getting served.
- Serve eggs in the tagine sprinkled with some fresh parsley and coriander, a little drizzle of olive or avocado oil.