Free Range Egg Recipes
| Add Your Rating
Rich Cheddar Soufflés with Celery and Apple Salad
|300ml (1/2 pint)||milk|
|45g (1 1/2oz)||butter|
|45g (1 1/2oz)||plain flour|
|1 teaspoon||grainy mustard|
|55g (2oz)||mature cheddar cheese, grated|
|55g (2oz)||parmesan cheese, grated|
|3||large free range eggs, split|
|200ml (1/3 pint)||double cream|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / gas mark 4.
- Place the milk, onion, nutmeg and bay leaf in a saucepan and gently heat. Remove the pan from the heat and set one side to infuse for 30 minutes then remove the onion and bay leaf.
- In a second saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and gently cook for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Return the pan to the heat and stir until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the grainy mustard, three quarters of the cheese and the egg yolks. Season well.
- Generously butter 6 ramekins. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Carefully fold the whisked whites into the cheese mixture and fill each ramekin until two thirds full.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin of boiling water and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is cooked. Remove the ramekins from the roasting tin and allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 425F, 220C. Loosen the soufflé edges with a knife and turn out, upside down, into a shallow ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pour over the cream.