Free Range Egg Recipes
| Add Your Rating
Hensioners Egg Custard Tart
|16oz||Flour (for pastry case)|
|8oz||margarine (for pastry case)|
|8oz||refined fat (Trex) (for pastry case)|
|pinch||salt (for pastry case)|
|pinch||sugar (for pastry case)|
|wa||water to bind (for pastry case)|
|2 pints||of milk (for egg custard)|
|13 dessert spoons||sugar (for egg custard)|
|13||free range eggs (for egg custard)|
|nutmeg (for egg custard)|
|1||vanilla pod or essence (for egg custard)|
- Rub the fat into the flour and salt and sprinkle with sugar.
- Mix with enough water to bind with a cut and stir motion until texture in neither too wet or dry.
- Cover the pasty with cling film and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
- Line a tart tin with the pastry, rolling it out with plenty overlapping the edge of the dish. (Any remaindered pastry can be baked along with the tart case and used as ‘Neddies’ to feed your hens.)
- Fill the case with dried peas and bake blind in the oven at 180/Gas Mark 4 until light golden in colour. Keep turning throughout to create an even colour and avoid burning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly
- In a 3 pint jug beat the eggs.
- In a saucepan, pour in the milk and add the sugar and bring to the boil.
- Pour over the eggs but do not beat together.
- Pour mixture into the pastry case through a sieve and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cook on the middle shelf for 30 minutes until set.