Free Range Egg Recipes
| Add Your Rating
Chocolate, Coconut and Raspberry Torte
|175g/6oz||butter, plus extra for greasing|
|175g/6oz||dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, broken into small pieces|
|175g/6oz||heaped ¾ cup caster sugar|
|6||free range eggs, separated|
|175g/6oz/1¾ cups||desiccated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling|
|icing sugar, for dusting|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Grease a 23cm/9in cake tin with butter and line the base with a circle of baking paper
- Put the chocolate in a large, heatproof bowl. Rest the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, so that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted. (Alternatively, melt the chocolate gently in the microwave.)
- Beat the butter and caster sugar, using an electric mixer, until light and creamy. Thoroughly beat in one egg yolk at a time, then add the melted chocolate and desiccated coconut, mixing until combined.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites, using an electric mixer, until semi-stiff peaks form. Stir one-third into the chocolate mixture to soften the mixture, then gently fold in the remainder with a large metal spoon. Spoon into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 35–40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a serving plate. When ready to serve, pile the raspberries on top and serve dusted with icing sugar mixed with a little desiccated coconut.