Free Range Egg Recipes
| Add Your Rating
Asparagus and Old Winchester Tart
- Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle around 3mm thick.
- Brush with water and roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Cut into four, stand upright and press down into a disc.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry into circles to line four 10cm loose-bottomed tins.
- Prick the bases of the pastry cases with a fork and chill again.
- Blind bake at 160°C for 10-12 mins, remove the baking beans and cook for another 5 mins until the pastry is just golden.
- To make the filling, mix the egg yolks and double cream, whisk in the mustard and then season.
- Finely dice the onion and leek and sweat off in some olive oil, allow to cool and then add to the egg mix.
- Stir in the cheese and chives.
- Retain 12 asparagus tips and chop the stalks and any remaining spears.
- Add the chopped asparagus to the custard mix.
- Fill the tarts with the custard and lay 3 asparagus tips onto the top of each tart.
- Bake at 160°C for 12-15 mins until golden and just set.
- Serve warm with a green salad as a starter.